Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I'm so mad at my mirror.


Why? Because never once has it told me that I look like this.




And don't think I don't ask...

Every morning, after my hair is just dry enough to spackle in place, I ask this reflective phony for an opinion. The answer? Alway something akin to "could be better, could be worse."

Could it be worse?

Apparently... Because every time I run across a photo of myself I'm first, horrified and second, compelled to ask a lot of tough questions. Is this what people really see? Is Tracy aware that she married a bridge troll? And the kids... How might this be affecting their schoolwork? And honestly... The photo above isn't even close to the worst I can do.

But what does it mean?

Among other things, I think it means that (prepare yourself for a real revelation here) the way we see ourselves is fairly divergent from the way we are seen by the ones we love. This, I'm convinced after almost twenty years of marriage, is a very good thing.


No comments: