Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Eleventeen

Tracy and I picked up Ev from and end-of-school dance on Friday night. While Tracy waited in the car, I went to see if I could shake the boy from a crowd of kids still gathered outside the school.

What appeared ordinary at 100 feet was traumatic at 10. Uncontrollable sobbing... Prolonged hugs... both girls and boys engaging in the teariest 6th grade farewell I'd ever witnessed.

I toggled between amused and annoyed until I spotted Evan in the middle of the crowd. It didn't take a second to figure things out. He was hoping to join those carried away by the scene at hand. Trying to be in the right spot. Standing close. Leaning in just a little. It didn't happen. No hugs. No tears.

He was quiet on the way home.

We all go through painful moments growing up. Watching them happen to someone you're supposed to protect is considerably worse.

No comments: