Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Band of Brothers

I Returned home last Sunday from a week long fishing trip in British Columbia (see slideshow at right) with my Dad and brothers. The trip was a gift from Dad to all of us, and a rare opportunity to spend real time together. Should we have taken him and paid for the whole thing? Hasn't he earned at least that? Yes to both, but he was smart to take matters into his own hands.

I knew it would be an adventure. I didn't realize it would be so educational. In my usual lazy prose, I'll tell you what I learned:

1) The Wright Brothers were really onto something.
As it turns out, Canada is not in the US. In fact it's not even close. Something we discovered twice as we made the mind-numbing drive from Boise to Ucluelet British Columbia and back again. 18 hours on the way up. 22 hours on the way back. (Thanks US Customs!) Note to self: When both friends and strangers express open dismay at your travel choices, reconsideration is in order.



2) Fishing is ridiculously easy.
I only fish rarely these days and struggle to catch anything when I do. This trip really opened my eyes to a better way. Always follow these steps: Have money. Hire an excellent guide. Have him do pretty much everything. Reel stuff in. Say cheese.



3) Fishing is incredibly hazardous
While we were there, both Mark and J. involuntarily lost longtime girlfriends... via cellphone no less. They took it way better than I ever could. Probably because they've already been through some really tough times. They are both good guys that deserve way better.



4) We need to keep a closer eye on the Canadians.
When they're not charging us to catch our own Salmon, they're coddling our national bird. They also sell gasoline in "litres"... intentionally disguising the real price.



5) The old man still has it
Whatever it is that's driven him to succeed to the degree he has is still alive and well. We can only hope that we've inherited a little of the same. Thanks Dad... for everything. We love you always.



No comments: