Friday, January 8, 2010

Uncle

One week into this new year and I'm already tired.

I once thought that a new year was a completely clean slate. A fresh start without any inherited momentum. Now I might think otherwise. Maybe it's because we're surrounded by forces that insist we don't miss a beat as we transition from one calendar to the next. Did we all secretly agree that none of this, whatever it is, can wait another minute? You may take days off, but it seems to help less than it did before... probably because December's end-of-year urgency never really dies now... It just parks itself... and lies in wait on the other side.

I recently heard someone on the radio poke fun at our seeming inability to keep New Year's resolutions. Too cynical, I thought. I've always liked the notion. Not that I always keep them, or even make them. I just like the idea of second chances.

I guess that's where I'm hung up now.
When old things never stop, new things never start.

No comments: