Sunday, January 24, 2010

Remedial Reviews

I don't read nearly as much as I ought to these days.
When I'm upright, I'm too easily distracted by flickering screens.
When I lie down, I just fall asleep.

So why should you take reading suggestions from me? You shouldn't. Fortunately, all of the books below were recommended or bought for me by people smarter than myself.

My latest read (yes, I'm 42 and way behind the curve.) and recommendation and favorite of Tracy's. A 20/20 view of human nature. Beautiful without being flowery. Apparently they're called classics for a reason.

A recent Christmas gift from Tracy and the kids. Illustrations you instantly love.
If reincarnation were the real deal... I'd want to come back as Charley Harper.

Todd, a close friend (and employer of mine) gave me this one... among many others. Science of all kinds made accessible and entertaining. In an effort to give Calvin and Hobbes a rest, I read the chapter on geology to Evan a couple of nights ago. He's hooked now too.

A gift from Ken, my brother-in-law and culinary soulmate. If you can only have one cookbook, start here. Don't let the Betty Crockeresque title and aesthetic fool you, this book is up-to-date, down-to-earth and brilliantly useful. If you have this one already, get his International cookbook next.

Another recommendation from Ken. Possibly my favorite book. A surprising look at water and how it behaves in the American desert. I hate this cover though... the one I have is different. Apparently the publisher thought it needed a dramatic and misleading subhead to spice things up.

No comments: