Saturday, November 6, 2010

Chile Verde

A nice recipe for chile verde I found on the interweb. We've made it twice so far and have already fine tuned a little. It's not quite Red Iguana, but getting close.

I like things a fairly spicy, Tracy less so. In fact, she often accuses me of intentionally making things too hot for the rest of the family to eat... leaving more for me. A plausible theory, but mostly untrue. If you like things mild, follow the recipe exactly. For a little more heat, we use 3 poblanos and 3 jalapenos, leaving some of the seeds in. A pinch of red pepper flakes would also have the same effect. (not that I've ever done that...) Yes, everyone in the family could still eat it... some just reached for their glasses a little more often.

A couple of other minor notes...
  1. We just use the pork tenderloins from Costco... I think they come two in a package.
  2. I also add a large yellow bell pepper as well... an add from another recipe.
  3. A full bunch of cilantro can be a little overwhelming... I might do about two-thirds. Although letting it cook longer probably mellows the flavor sufficiently as well.
  4. I just place all of the tomatillos, peppers and garlic on a cookie sheet and blacken together... not sure why they add an extra step.
  5. You can serve over rice or with tortillas. We choose the latter, wrapped like burritos and smothered with more of the verde, enchilada-style.







Sorry I failed to capture any final photos... by the time it was ready, I forgot all about photography. Trust me, it looked good enough to eat.

In case you missed the earlier link... get the original recipe here.

No comments: